Monday, May 19, 2008

Got my SILKIES!

Let me preface this post with - I have been outside working on the chicken run and my rabbit hutch all day and I'm TIRED!

Yesterday Paul and I drove to Popson Farm to get our silkie babies! It was quite a drive, but we swung through some of the towns we used to visit to do some shopping. It was a fun day!

Anyway! We made it to the farm in the afternoon and got to see all of their chickens, geese, turkeys... and PEAFOWL! Very neat!

Ameracuana (Easter Egg) Rooster

Peacock!

Silkies in their breeding pen.

Silkie Rooster

Leah (Mrs. Popson!) and I pored over the brooders and picked out 5 baby "silkies". I got two whites, one black and one splash (hopefully). Wait, that only adds up to 4... yeah... well when I got home I noticed that one of the babies didn't have the black beak and feet or the extra toe that all silkies have. After emailing Leah it turns out that I also picked up a cochin by mistake! Oh well! "She" (crosses fingers) is really cute anyway (and does have fuzzy feet!). I haven't had the babies out of the brooder yet to take good pictures.. since a few of them were BORN YESTERDAY I didn't want to mess with them too much. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow if it's warm out. :) Until then you'll have to enjoy this... (those infrared heat lamps are not the best for photos!)


As a bonus Leah had a solitary white Sultan hen that she wanted to sell. So I got her too! She's really pretty and is settling in very nicely.. even though she's all alone in the coop (apart from the cheeping box of peeps). Since she is a Polish breed we have named her "Ponyah" which means Lady in Polish. I have no idea how to spell that... so I went with phonetics...

I do have pictures of her!!


Check out the hairdo... On the way home, traveling down the same road we had been on 30 minutes before we came around a corner and saw THIS...

A freaking PENNSYLVANIA REDWOOD! Keep in mind that Paul is about 6'5... so it was no sapling! I had to drive my truck under that beast.. it was scary! (A local came a long before we left and said he would call the authorities to have it removed).

I plan on taking pictures of the babies tomorrow... and Chubs remodeled hutch (which came out really nicely!). I finished running a two foot half buried border of chicken wire around the bottom of the whole chicken run today. I also started on the netting over the top... but it got dark out and I had to stop.

Well, I'm off to check on the babies and slip Chubs some leftover salad :)

No comments: